
By the end of the summer it will be "our" garden. Brian does all the initial work - getting the ground ready, planting, some of the weeding and then as the summer goes along, I do most of the harvesting and cooking or preserving the fruits of "our" garden.
Raspberries are just coming on and are wonderful!! Alot of bush for the berries. I can understand why they cost so much in the store. I'm just glad we have them. I believe Brian got them from an older couple in the area because they continue to grow and spread. Every once in a while we'll see a sign in front of their house - free raspberry plants, free perennials. The flowers from the from of our house come from them also. Thank you Mr & Mrs Mumford!

Here are two types of lettuce. I don't remember what the time on is. The bottom one is plain ole head lettuce. We have another type also. I figured mixed together will be pretty good.

Our zucchini looks pretty good so far. No flowers yet because everything was planted so late due to the EXTREMELY wet spring we have. I have planted marigolds throughout the garden in hopes of keeping bugs away. Also hope the fungus stays away. We also have cucumbers.

Here is Brian's set up for our cherry tomatoes. It works pretty good and they don't get dirty. We have ALOT of tomatoes. Brian has put stakes in the ground and ran baler twine between the stakes for the tomatoes to grow up. It's easier to get to the tomatoes than through cages. I'll post pictures when the tomatoes are bigger.

I think I'll be busy come August and September. We (Brian) also planted alot of green beans. Hopefully enough to take us half way through the winter. The four of us easier eat at least a pound at a meal. Maybe I'll get creative and try to make my own spaghetti sauce too???
Since being on this "yeast free" diet, I've been reading more labels and some of the ingredients make you ask why? Why do they put some of the things in soups, sauces, etc? It's so easy to open a can of soup but I'm just alot more aware. I don't think I can go as far as Aaron and Sara with their organic living but maybe I can make a little dent in our lifestyle.
Beautiful garden! I'm very interested in the tomatoes; we still use cages but I'd really like to try something new. The raspberries look fantastic! :o) Becky
ReplyDeleteThat tomato method is how our CSA grows up their tomatoes! They think it's most space efficient and easiest and get's great results. I still use the same old cages and usually have to put in stage and twin later in the year to make bigger "cages" when the plants outgrow the metal ones!
ReplyDeleteI love peaking into other peoples' gardens, thanks for sharing!