Thursday, August 4, 2011

Grandpa

Just came from seeing Grandma and Grandpa. I'm trying very hard not to be sad watching Grandpa grow old but it's really hard. It has allowed me to reflect on his life though. I hope I can reach 86 years! I have a picture of him when he was only about 10 years old with a horse and wagon or some type of farm equipment. In the picture is his dad too. I showed it to Evan and he couldn't believe it. From the time of horse and buggies to computers, microwaves, WiFi and Nooks. How things have changed.

When I was little I looked up to Grandpa so much, literally and figuratively. I had to take about 3-4 steps to his 1 step. I remember trotting to try to keep up with him. And he had the biggest hands I ever saw. He seemed like the strongest and smartest person in the world to me. He could fix anything and was always working. I remember telling him Sunday was supposed to be a day of rest - the Bible said so.

Then I turned into a teenager and we didn't see eye to eye. Looking back I know he was trying to protect me but I really wish he would have let go just a little bit. Everything he did, though, he did out of love. Even when I did things he didn't agree with, I knew he would always be there for me.

He's helped paint in the house, plant gardens, build a garage, plant grass in our backyard, watch our kids, and anything else we asked. If he could do it, he would. He's been the best grandpa to my kids and supported them in every way possible.

I love you Dad!

1 comment:

  1. Well put, Aunt Christine. Grandpa has lived a wonderful life, and we all pray that he is around for many more good years!

    ReplyDelete