Here are some pictures from our ice storm the week of February 21, 2011. Most schools in Monroe County were closed the entire week. Notice the trees were "fooled" by the warmer weather the week before and started to bud.
Here is a limb that came down in our front yard. It was partially in the road so Brian stayed home a few hours so we could clean it up. Some neighbors came to help also. The next day a few houses down, there was a huge limb that came down - completely blocking the road.

As dangerous and messy as it was, it was also very pretty. The trees glistened when the sun came out. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera then.

Here is our clothesline and the tiny icicles hanging from it. Everything was covered in ice. We were without power for 50+ hours. The boys and I went to friends in Toledo while Brian held down the fort (however, he was in a warm office all day). He borrowed a kerosene heater so the pipes would not freeze since it was down to 42 degrees inside the house. The power went out about 5 am Monday morning and came back on Wednesday about 9 am. We were lucky to have our on so quickly since some people were without power until Thursday or Friday.
Austin was able to put some hours into working helping his boss with salting and plowing. Then he and a couple of buddies went out knocking on doors and making money clearing downed limbs and branches. He made about $100 in a couple of days. Not too bad for a teenager.
Evan and I spent ALOT of time together and thankfully schools were back in session this week. They both have about 6 days to make up at this point. I hope we don't have much more bad weather or they will be going to school until July! I am really ready for spring!
Wow, I heard about that storm but had no idea it was so bad! Glad you got your power back quickly and nothing was hurt/broken!
ReplyDeleteIt was the longest 2 days ever! We were lucky to have it back so quickly. Some people in Blissfield, Michigan were without for 5 days. Brrrrr!
ReplyDelete